Friday, February 28, 2014

Day 18 - Home Made Ramen Close Enough

Ramen substitute
As part of my job   I need to take people to eat sometimes and have conversations over food. My office happens to have zero vegetarian friendly Ramen places so I opted for an Asian pasta option  that is pretty close. Only thing missing was the broth.

Pad Thai, I ate before I remembered to take a pic
I had the tofu and vegetables pad thai without egg. It was pretty good but very very hot (temperature). I got the small since the large is uneatable unless you want to be in a carb coma all day. The tea they had was undrinkable as well so I probably won't be going here often.

The Ramen diet is on the back side of completion
Tonight I planned to make a fresh from scratch Ramen recipe. I chose a recipe from of all places Canadianliving.com. I am serving this to the whole family so it better be good or I won't hear the end of it.

Shiitake mushrooms for broth
I made the broth first starting with a vegan chicken broth I got from Sprouts. My wife has issues with gluten and soy so the miso in the broth I used a brown rice miso instead of a traditional.

Brown rice miso
I had to make three bowls of Ramen for dinner and all three were slightly different. I used my broth for all of them but my daughter wanted meat on her's and my wife wanted Rice noodles in her's. I don't like the rice noodles because they soak up the broth and become slimy.

Traditional Japanese noodles
The night before I took my daughter to the store with me and she picked out the fish cake and pork she wanted in her Ramen. She also wanted a hard boiled egg in her's because she says you have to have it or it's not real Ramen.

Pork loin chunks
Everyone liked the broth a lot. My daughter ate her food like a prison inmate. I can tell something is good when she eats like that. She wanted no vegetables in her's which was disappointing.

All meat, fish cake, and egg Ramen for my kid
My wife and I had mushrooms, tofu, cabbage, bok choy, and green onion in ours. I thought it all tasted very good. It did need a little salt so I think if I make this again that I will add more soy sauce to the broth when I cook it. Overall I thought it was a great success.

Veggie Ramen with Tofu
Thanks for checking in. Let me know if you have any Ramen recipes that I could try as well. Remember I only eat veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment